Tuesday, May 20, 2008

on my ease of use criteria

Having now had a look at the gok user manual, it seems indeed very powerful.

However, that's perhaps the problem - it's too powerful. I want to click a button/widget, and have an on-screen keyboard appear (something I have setup now with onboard).

Secondly, I should not have had to look at a user manual to work out how to get a qwerty keyboard on screen...

I've still a funny feeling something isn't quite right, since nothing besides the main menu (3x3 grid) actually appears. So thirdly, it should Just Work, and it doesn't seem to.

I'm afraid gok, like to many other linux features, don't, or at least, 'don't well'. It's no surprise there's so much talk of linux acceptance on the desktop... even if I am using a tablet, not a true desktop.

No comments: