Friday, May 16, 2008

touchscreen works

So, headed over to ubuntu forums and downloaded the patched fpit driver that ace214 posted. Exploded gz and copied .so file into /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input - renaming [moving] the existing one (to have a .old extension, just in case...). Restart.

It kind of worked, at least, it didn't crash and the pointer moved about when I touched the screen.

After some xorg.conf tinkering, the following seem to be required in my xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Touchscreen"
Driver "fpit"
Option "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
Option "BaudRate" "9600"
Option "MaximumXPosition" "4096"
Option "MaximumYPosition" "4096"
Option "MinimumXPosition" "0"
Option "MinimumYPosition" "0"
Option "Passive" "true"
Option "TrackRandR"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

I have yet to test the screen rotation, so I may revisit the TrackRandR section.

I also commented out the (default added) Synaptics Touchpad section, which refers to /dev/psuax, and therefore the ServerLayout section (at the end of xorg.conf) refers to Touchscreen (as above) and not Synaptics.

Not putting BaudRate made the cursor jump wildly; although it could be me adding Option "BaudRate" with no parameter was the problem.

I also tried various combinations of (previously posted) variations on Max/Min X & Y, and found that max = 4096 and min = 0 is perfect - it tracks the pointer perfectly.

Next steps; button panel - mostly to enable right clicks and screen rotation (although i'm not too bothered about that)

I also need to try it undocked minus keyboard and mouse, i've a niggling feeling that since my mouse is the core pointer, something may occur. I hope setting touchscreen as core pointer will work too...

I'll post my xorg.conf when it's 100%

No comments: