Monday, May 12, 2008

serial port for touchscreen

Ok, first thing then, serial ports (for the screen) not being picked up.

Load up synaptic and install setserial.

Run
/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 irq 4 port 0x220 autoconfig
Point the xorg.conf touchscreen section to /dev/ttyS0 and restart X11. Everything appears normal, mouse works. Touch the screen, screen crashes and goes all knackered; I take this to be a good sign - at least the touch part is getting to the X driver (which then fails).

So, step one complete. Now i'll need to upgrade the fpit driver, and I beleive a patched one is out there.

As an aside, i'm still not sure how/if setserial has indeed setup the serial port on everyboot. I've a funny feeling I need to tinker with /etc/rc.local to make sure it's called. I didn't take too long debugging, the setserial was a quick test (which seems to have passed) so i'll look later.

[update: I think I copied that same config into /etc/serial.conf - nothing else - and it seems to be keeping things working upon reboot. So either running the command above set it forever, or, setserial has installed itself somewhere (rc.d?) and picks up /etc/serial.conf every boot. Either way, it works as expected, so i'll leave this for now (until it's really bugging me..)]

No comments: