Thursday, May 8, 2008

sorting out X

This was a bit of a faff.

At first, I was worried that my /etc/X11/xorg.conf was rather sparse.

Running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg asked one question about kernel mode, then a whole bunch of stuff about keyboards, then stopped. Er, what no driver questions? No monitor questions?

After some digging around, it's clear that X seems to be rather clever, so don't worry about an empty looking configuration file.

More importantly, adding
Driver "i810"
to the 'Device' section in xorg.conf works. Nothing else, one line.

Reboot and I get a nice - working - screen, at 1024 x 768 with (what seems to be) a reasonable colour depth. I'm not going to quibble, looks good for me.

And the mouse works. The PS2 one, and a USB one. Can't say I tried the wheel or buttons 3 & 4, but left & right click are ok, which will suffice, particularly as I intend to use the pen normally...

No comments: