Friday, May 16, 2008

onscreen keyboard

One of the reasons I was going to approach this part next was for the login screen. There's a lot of topics and threads about how to get this going. The old xkbd is mentioned a lot, as is SOK, now renamed onBoard - which is an annoying title, merely because of the false hits you get in google...

Nevertheless, onBoard seemed to be what I wanted.

Then it struck me that what I really wanted to do was avoid any kind of login altogether, have it done automatically on the one user account that exists. That way, I need not bother with any hassle of having an onscreen keyboard early (i.e. at login time), and I could call it up when I needed it, when browsing for example.

So, a quick check in the login settings panel, automatic login, choose user in pulldown, done. No login window ever again; straight to desktop after turning it on. Lovely.

Now, at this stage, I could pretty much leave it as-is; I can turn it on, click on firefox, click on bookmarks and that's all I need. Or click on a video, watch video, done.

Except, onBoard doesn't seem to be resident, at least, running it from /usr/bin doesn't do much. Hardware buttons don't work, and they're nice, particularly for page scrolling and right clicks. Standby and hibernate seem a little er, not working. All in all, nothing critical, I could stop here, but it's feels kind of half baked.

No comments: